Sunday, July 1, 2012

Persephone (revised)



I had a chance to revisit this painting, and I heavily revised it.  Among the changes I made was strong lighting, as well as reworking the environment significantly to give it much more depth.  Overall I'm very satisfied with how this piece turned out, and I consider it one of my strongest works.

.........

I created this image in order to practice painting drapery, which I view as a challenge. Greek Mythology inspires me heavily as well, so I wanted to show that with this image. Persephone's story mainly evolves her abduction from the Earth realm, to the Underworld, courtesy of Hades. This image deals with that concept (albeit a bit subtly). The figure's pose was referenced from Lockstock as well, who has some great fantasy themed stock photography.

An older version of this image was included in Advanced Photoshop Magazine as well.

6 comments:

cgmythology said...

Thank you, glad to hear that!

Kungfoowiz said...

Hey man, I remember this tutorial, I read it when I first started painting actually.

Your control of values is really good and I can see why you've mentioned that it's your strongest piece yet.

If you would like some feedback then consider tidying up some of the form on the dove (bird) at the most furtherest right. It is a bit loose maybe. Tightening up the dove which is flying away from us, mostly to do with its tail feathers. And maybe placing the third dove (frm left to right), placing him more into shadow would help. Those are just suggestions mind. Just looking at the broader aspects maybe and offering you suggestions if you wanted to hear them. Would also suggest deemphasising some edges as you move away from your focus point (the lady) as well. Okay I think that's enough feedback without seeming too harsh/inappropriate.

Kungfoowiz said...

Just wanted to also mention it is a beautiful piece, in spite of the crit. =)

Joe777k7 said...

wow man you got really good! I remember looking at your sketchbook last year i think and seeing all those pages of loomis type studies on newprint lol awesome progress :) Come subcribe to mt blog on here if you get a chance. Thanks!

cgmythology said...

Edward: Thanks for the honest feedback. Not sure if I'll go back again to this piece, but I'll keep your feedback in mind for future works. I'm glad you enjoy the painting despite its flaws, however.

Jok777k7: Thank you, and will do!

gel said...

This piece is really good. You are an amazing painter. I looked through all the rest and my favorite is the "ocean princess" one. It is what brought me here. (I realize you may not call it that, but its how I refer to it) :D